• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   The Pioneer

The Pioneer
  • Supports:Arsenal & Chesterfield
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

Scouting Reports - FM12 Changes
Sports Interactive have made significant changes to the scouting reports and features in football manager 2012. The system has been improved in every edition however this year SI have taken things that one step further. With permission from clubs employers this years game has actual data from real scouts covering a range of areas.

Let's start by looking at the opposition scouting report, you'll see much in the same message from your next opposition scout as before however now when you go into the report you get much more depth and input.

Posted Image

Firstly when you open your scouts opposition report you now get this lovely 'Strength Overview' screen which shows you the top three players at the club in each position giving you an insight into the clubs key players. Very handy if you are playing in a league you have no prior knowledge of or are facing new opposition you do not regularly feature against in the league.

Posted Image

On the next screen you can take a look in more detail at each position and the depth at invidividual positions, as it highlights here Everton's main depth and best players lie in the midfield with the combination of Fellani, Cahill, Rodwell and Osman as central midfield figures.

Posted Image

You can navigate around the different positions on the pitch graphic to study all the positions in great detail on the graphic on the left side of the screen which looks like this

Next up you move onto the Team Comparison tab, another new addition to the scouting reports now available, which gives you various comparisons between the two clubs ranging from average age to height/weight, international caps in squad and how many players are unavailable.

Posted Image

You can then move onto view the team comparison in more detail splitting it down between the team as a whole or in separate positions of Goal Keepers, Defenders, Midfielders and Attackers. These reports show you where yours and your opponents strengths and weaknesses lie and will help you prepare tactically to exploit your opponents weaknesses and play to your strengths.

For example, Everton have better strength and work rate compared to Arsenal however Arsenal are superior with there first touch and passing abilities with both teams level pegging on decision making and will be able to use there attacking acceleration and pace well against the Everton defence.

Next I will cover the tactical analysis, goal analysis and last match tab sections.

This post has been promoted to an article

PASS IT! PASS IT you show boating... What did I buy you for....

MSHCsigv12.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   King Daniel

King Daniel

Turning underwear inside out saves on washing...

• Members
  • 1,644 posts
  • Supports:Liverpool and Cardiff

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

Awesome article here Pio. Admittedly despite the fact I should be exploring the demo I've actually managed to overlook a fair few of the features mentioned here, will definitely have to take a look now as it certainly looks like they could come in handy.

lost-highway4_thumb.gif

#3 OFFLINE   Jenko

Jenko

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Yeah really enjoyed that Pioneer. :thup:

Oh, and Rodwell and Barkley's PA! :D

#4 OFFLINE   The Pioneer

The Pioneer

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

Now we have covered the basics with the team overview and squad comparison's available I'm going to move onto the analytical side of the new scout reports. When you move onto the Last Match tab which gives you an insight into the teams last meeting in higher detail then Football Manager 2011 would allow you to see.

This report on the oppositions last encounter will give you an insight into your next opposition and the team they have recently faced as well and will give you statistics like shots on target, possession and the rating of each player who featured along with a brief description of there input along with a brief text match report and with a link to go and view the video of the game as well. This gives you a better chance to assess the players you will soon be facing and factor in plans.

Posted Image

As you can see, it was a tight game won by Chelsea winger Salomon Kalou in the forty seventh minute in a game which remained exciting and fiery with sixteen fouls a piece but Everton failed to make their shots count as none of their nine attempts at goal troubles the Chelsea goalkeeper whilst Tim Howard was called on several times to keep Everton in with a chance of collecting points.

Next you move onto the tactical analysis tab which gives you an idea of the formations your opposition have both used and played against and how successful they have been when using or facing the tactic highlighted. It's obvious to see that Everton are favouring a 4-4-1-1 formation and it has proved successful with fifteen goals scored and only eight conceded being used for a total of 1105 minutes in sixteen match starts.

Posted Image

Onto the formations this Everton squad have so far faced in the 2011-2012 season and they have certainly faced a few different variations and styles of formation. They have enjoyed a few good games against smaller teams playing the flat 4-4-2 formation but struggled most when facing formations of 4-3-1-2 or 4-1-2-2-1. This feature and tool really gives you an interesting perspective on how the teams cope against different formations and can help you decide if you stick with your current match tactic or adapt it to try and confuse the Everton team at the last minute.

Posted Image

Now onto the final tab of the new oppositional report you will now be receiving, the goal analysis tab which alongside your general report can help you understand the method your opponent will use with build up, goal style and assist method.

In the first screen you will see if the squad you are facing prefer to get possession from the whistle and try to dominate or sit back and catch the opponents off guard mid half. Everton's preferred method is to score between the sixteenth and forty fifth minutes of the half where they hope the opposition has relaxed into a rhythm and they can pounce but tend to conceded most goals either early in the first half or late in the second half as legs start to tire.

Posted Image

The next screen in this final tab shows you the manner of which goals have been scored or conceded in and Everton's favourite method for goal scoring is through a mixture of placed shots, headers or penalty kicks with a few efforts coming from lobs or overhead efforts. The method which has penetrated the Everton defence most is the placed shot or powerful shot whilst the team defend headed attempts well.

The final screen of the goal analysis section covers the manner in which assists have been created or conceded in. In conjunction with this analyintical feature in each of these three screenshots you get this assist locations screenshot showing where most of the other teams goals have come from and been conceded from, very handy for showing where they have created and conceded most assists from. Sixteen of Everton's assists have come from either crosses or passes whilst eleven assists come from the wing and just five from the centre on the locator, three have come from long balls (presumably from the defensive half) whilst two have been created in the box which I would assume is one of the passes and the one opposition mistake.Almost all Everton's conceded goal assists have come from passes whilst a majority of those have come from a position on the right wing which leads me to believe the wing backs are pushing forward and being caught high with a counter attack being launched by the other side.

Posted Image

The final part of this article will follow where I will move onto the Player scouting reports and discussing them in greater detail.

MSHCsigv12.jpg

#5 ONLINE   Foxo

Foxo

Too much posting. RSI anyone?

• Admin
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

Honestly first and foremost going to say I still have no idea what silver stars mean :( never had a clue. Someone explain them to me? First section of this is great, the strength feature is a brilliant addition as i know which positions to target with hard tackling now etc. Didn't know you could click through by position either to see total strength, useful to know.

I also never knew about those points highlighted in the second part, that almost seems to revolutionise the way I decide my tactics for a game, especially the tactics faced and varying degrees of strength against them. Maybe not goals, unless as you said a team concedes a lot late on, then I might want to keep some pace on the bench to bring on.

[logosig="http://i1015.photobu...zpsbc0ef16c.png"]

Stamford Town
2014/15: TSN: 1st FAT: 3rd rd FA: 3rd rd
2015/16 TSP: 7th FAT: 1st rd FA: 3rd qual
2016/17 TSP: 3rd (Playoff Winners) FAT: 3rd Rd FA: 3rd rd
2017/18 L2: 7th (Lost Playoff Final) JPT: 1st rd FA: 2nd rd C1: 1st rd
2018/19 L2: 5th (Won Playoff Final) JPT: 2nd rd FA: 5th rd C1: 2nd rd
2019/20 L1: 3rd (Promoted) JPT: NQF FA: 1st rd C1: 1st rd
2020/21 Champ: 3rd (Promoted) FA: 4th rd C1: 4th rd
2021/22 Premier League: 17th FA: 6th rd C1: 1st rd

2022/23 Premier League: 11th FA: Winner C1: QF
2023/24 Premier League: 8th CS: Lost FA: Winner C1: 3rd rd EL: SF

2024/25 Premier League: 8th CS: Won FA: Winner C1: 3rd rd EL: Runner Up

2025/26 Premier League: 2nd CS: Won FA: Winner C1: 4th rd EL: 2nd KO
Career Thread: Click Me!

#6 OFFLINE   CMU Chips

CMU Chips

TAS World Cup Predictor Champion 2014

• Members
  • 4,290 posts
  • Supports:Aston Villa

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

5 silver stars is like .5 gold stars or something, I just assume it's something like that

TAS Secret Admin (2009-???)

TAS Secret Owner (2013-???)

#7 OFFLINE   The Pioneer

The Pioneer

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Honestly first and foremost going to say I still have no idea what silver stars mean :( never had a clue. Someone explain them to me?

5 silver stars is like .5 gold stars or something, I just assume it's something like that

As far as I can understand the silver stars only apply to youth players and five silver stars equates to one gold for his current ability (I'm not 100% certain on this but from what I've read people say the same), the PA is always a gold star rating be it half a star of five stars. :)

MSHCsigv12.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   lurkingwithintent

lurkingwithintent

• Members
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

Great stuff Pio, really excited to get my hands on this when the full game comes out :D And looks like Ross Barkley is a must-buy on FM12 !

#9 OFFLINE   Rico

Rico
  • Supports:Port Vale
  • Managing:Arsenal

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

This is an absolutely great read Pio! Will definitely come in handy when playing FM 2012. Good work.

#10 OFFLINE   The Pioneer

The Pioneer

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

So far we have reviewed the upgrades made to the team strengths & comparisions features and analytical features the scout reports now provide you with, now it is time to review the player reports you will now receive.

The new player reports you receive once you have scouted a player are my favourite part of the scouting reports updates Sports Interactive have introduced to Football Manager 12. Where as in past versions you would scout a player, sign him and introduce him to your squad still unsure which role he would suit the new input and information from real scouts has really helped take the player reporting system to a new level. No longer will you worry about if a certain player can fit directly into your current tactical set up, alongside his positional information in the report this year you are also recomended the best role he would play in and how he operates on the football pitch.

Posted Image

Of course if you watch the player you have scouted in real life games you already have an opinion on his playing style and a basis in what position/role he should be used in should you sign him, the progress SI has made with here will inspire more people to take a risk with a newgen or unknown player they could improve and make a worldwide super star in much the same way Arsene Wenger has on many occasions.

You've seen half the scouting report you will now receive and now it's time to discuss the second half of the report which shows you the players current and potential abilities but also now will compare the scouted player to those of the same position pool currently at your club and let you see where they would fit in also. The comparision list that has been added will save a lot of time and small screen changes as you can automatically compare how your staff rate the player in one movement.

Posted Image

As you can see, Steve Rowley, Arsenal's Head Scout in real life, rates Marek Hamsik very highly and says he would be the best midfielder alongside Mikel Arteta should he be signed and he would suit the style of play and squad personality that is currently being implemented which makes for promising information should he be purchased, as it was I opted to purchase the Brazilian player Jadson from Shakhtar Donesk instead who also suited my playing style and squad personality.

The upgrades Sports Interactive have introduced for Football Manager 2012 that I have discovered in the demo leave me very excited about what features you could unearth once the full game has been released on October 21st, from both a technical and tactical analytical point of view I am thoroughly pleased with the updates and spend a lot more time studying a report now then I used to and this concludes my article discussing the changes and features introduced for this years version of the wonderful game.

MSHCsigv12.jpg

#11 ONLINE   Foxo

Foxo

• Admin
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

Not keen on the fact Wilshere is only 2 and a half stars but thats a separate point. Fantastic addition to the scouting by SI, I sometimes struggle particularly with rounded players in trying to pick out their best position. I like the comparison too, normally when it says "would be 3rd best" I'm like "who's 2nd then?" as I sometimes rate them higher. Will clear up confusion :)

[logosig="http://i1015.photobu...zpsbc0ef16c.png"]

Stamford Town
2014/15: TSN: 1st FAT: 3rd rd FA: 3rd rd
2015/16 TSP: 7th FAT: 1st rd FA: 3rd qual
2016/17 TSP: 3rd (Playoff Winners) FAT: 3rd Rd FA: 3rd rd
2017/18 L2: 7th (Lost Playoff Final) JPT: 1st rd FA: 2nd rd C1: 1st rd
2018/19 L2: 5th (Won Playoff Final) JPT: 2nd rd FA: 5th rd C1: 2nd rd
2019/20 L1: 3rd (Promoted) JPT: NQF FA: 1st rd C1: 1st rd
2020/21 Champ: 3rd (Promoted) FA: 4th rd C1: 4th rd
2021/22 Premier League: 17th FA: 6th rd C1: 1st rd

2022/23 Premier League: 11th FA: Winner C1: QF
2023/24 Premier League: 8th CS: Lost FA: Winner C1: 3rd rd EL: SF

2024/25 Premier League: 8th CS: Won FA: Winner C1: 3rd rd EL: Runner Up

2025/26 Premier League: 2nd CS: Won FA: Winner C1: 4th rd EL: 2nd KO
Career Thread: Click Me!

#12 OFFLINE   The Pioneer

The Pioneer

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

It seems Wilshere is set up in FM12 as an AMC for his primary position but yeah.. he should be 3star/3 and a half star as MC/AMC for sure. Think his PA for MC is 4 star and 4 1/2/5star for AMC

MSHCsigv12.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   CMU Chips

CMU Chips

• Members
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

What does scouting pool do?

#14 OFFLINE   The Pioneer

The Pioneer

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

As far as I can see the scouting pool sends a random member of your scouting staff or coaching staff to collate a report on the player it has been requested on.

MSHCsigv12.jpg

#15 OFFLINE   CMU Chips

CMU Chips

• Members
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:42 AM

Ok, probably won't use it then unless I find out it does something better as well :P

#16 OFFLINE   Rico

Rico
  • Supports:Port Vale
  • Managing:Arsenal

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Very nice so far Pio, very interesting reading. Will find useful for sure.

#17 OFFLINE   King Daniel

King Daniel

• Members
  • 1,644 posts
  • Supports:Liverpool and Cardiff

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

Once again awesome work here Pio, really looking forward to FM12 now :D

lost-highway4_thumb.gif

#18 OFFLINE   ytseliam

ytseliam

Never On Topic

• Members
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Lovely little round up amigo. I'm very much enjoying what they've done with scouting this year, although I do think player reports could still do with being fleshed out more. Really it seems to me duty recommendation and ranking them are the only new additions. Both very good, but I want more detailed match reports etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users