8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BobMcDee

BobMcDee

You call it soccer, don't you?

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Supports:Aston Villa

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

I have been plating FM11 for a couple of weeks now and was wondering what level of team is the best to start with to get to know the game.

I have had a quick go with Aston Villa, where I can recognise players and their rolls in real life and Tamworth in the conference.

I start a game and after 4 or 5 games learn something new "almost by accident". Is there a guide or chexklist anywhere which will give me a bit of structure as to what to do each turn.

Thanks for all the guides etc on TAS as These really help new players like me.

#2 OFFLINE   MrManager

MrManager

Starting to get into this now...

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Supports:Arsenal

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

I have been plating FM11 for a couple of weeks now and was wondering what level of team is the best to start with to get to know the game.

I have had a quick go with Aston Villa, where I can recognise players and their rolls in real life and Tamworth in the conference.

I start a game and after 4 or 5 games learn something new "almost by accident". Is there a guide or chexklist anywhere which will give me a bit of structure as to what to do each turn.

Thanks for all the guides etc on TAS as These really help new players like me.

Personally I don't really start in the top league (apart from my current league) because you seem to learn more in the lower leagues and game doesn't seem to play itself. Also there's a goal to get into the next league up and when you do there's all knew challenges all new players and I think it makes you a tad more versatile in your tactics however managing in the BSP can get dull because of the quality of players. You can only ever say "my team did awesome.....for a BSP....." which, lets face it, is awful.

The best way to learn is dive in and just about play with everything even if you don't intend to stick with that team just click everything, you may enjoy the club you pick too and just stick with them. But like I said lower leagues seem like a better starting point, I got bored of every career I started at Arsenal till I tried southampton and I loved it. Just learn on the go dude. Posted Image Enjoy
Football retarded, FM addicted!!

Career thread: click here!

Still in first season managing Arsenal.

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   sander177

sander177

No one can accuse you of lacking commitment.

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Managing:Hercules

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

Usually it's best to start with a local team or a team that you support as you already know about them(which players to select, formation etc), but otherwise. Just dive into the game and play. Reading and talking in forums(like TAS) is also a good way to improve yourself, there are plenty of great articles and tutorials around if you need any kind of help. Alos you can just ask like you did right now.

Also it doesn't hurt to look up the "features" list of the game(or earlier FM-s) and then try to find/use them in the game.

Just a Career (FM 2011 career)

#4 OFFLINE   lurkingwithintent

lurkingwithintent

Too much posting. RSI anyone?

• Members
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Pick a team you know well in real life, and just dive in. Just go for it! Anything you get stuck on, ask here :P

#5 OFFLINE   Scorsese

Scorsese

Taking extra days off work to play FM...

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  • Supports:Arsenal

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

The beauty of Fm for completely new players is that doing anything works, and doing anything you will learn. Like the boys have said go somewhere you are familiar with, prehaps your own team, but for me you learn more going somewhere completely random so you dont pick the players you know etc, but rather have to have a look at each player, how he fits different formations and which formation suits your group.

In all, there isnt a right or wrong answer here, just do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Another good thing about FM is the detail, which solely lies upto the player. There will be aspects of the game seasoned players never ever touch as they dont feel it nessecary to thier experience, yet you might quite get into training and scouting if you have a look at it.

fc5a7949243b7f31833566f44d971939.png

weeman. Everyone favourite rapey uncle.

#6 OFFLINE   Zoli

Zoli
  • Supports:Usage of Russian Emotes ))

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Pick a team you know well in real life, and just dive in. Just go for it! Anything you get stuck on, ask here :P

^

I think this is the best thing to do when you are new to the game. Just start with a team you know inside out. You know who to play, who to keep and who to buy. FM has a lot of features which might be hard to digest at once, so it's nice to know exactly what you want to do.

sigcopy_zps659d85b9.png

76561198070912443.png

#7 OFFLINE   Jad

Jad

Varying levels of anger

• Members
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Hands on is the way to go, you will pick up little nuggets as you play and find new elements of the game as you go along. The best thing to think of as you play is "you get out what you put in". This version rewards attention to detail imo, paying special attention to the smallest things can have a very big effect. I'll forward you a PM Jenko sent me a while ago when I came back to FM for the first time in a couple of years. :O

#8 OFFLINE   BobMcDee

BobMcDee

You call it soccer, don't you?

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Supports:Aston Villa

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

goodness me it works

Been looking on the forums today and looked at player instruction and tactic tweaks.

Cheated a little when I lost to Bolton away 2-0 last night but did not save!!!!! (sorry)

Just did a few alterations and changed 1 or 2 things I remembered and good god we won 3-0
Changed supply to target man " run on to ball" Downing to "cut inside" proof if proof werre needed that you have to get things right to suceed.

I think I will need to take early retirement to give this game justice

#9 OFFLINE   Ole Rex

Ole Rex
  • Supports:Liverpool Football Club
  • Managing:A.C. Cuneo 1905
  • My Blog:Click Me!

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Use teams you know in real life till you get bored and start a new game. Some of my most favorite games have come from hitting the "Select Club For Me" button.
Currently Managing:
A.C. Cuneo 1905

Achievements:
Runner-Up in the Italia Serie C2/A

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users